Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Jacob's Birthday!

Thursday morning, June 2nd, I woke up and was able to take a shower, fix my hair, and put on make-up ...I felt like a new woman! Dr. Moore was on call for my OB doctor this morning and she came into to see me along with my new perinatologist (the high risk OB doc). They were both pleased with my blood pressure and stable labs. They both told me that things can change very quickly with pre-eclampsia but they believed we could hold off delivery 3 weeks or so (they goal was 32 weeks).

On the antepartum unit, I was settling into my room and visiting with friends. They assigned a Union Accelerated-BSN nursing students (the program I completed last December) to help with my care for the day. I enjoyed chatting with him about the program and professors. The day was pretty uneventful until about 5 pm... when I noticed some pain on my right side right below my ribcage. The nurse came in to check on me, and I mentioned that my side had begun to hurt. She decided to check my bp ... Things went downhill quickly from here. My blood pressure was very high (180s/100s -- considered stroke level), so my nurse called the doctors. They ordered stat labs and bp checks every 15 minutes. The nurse asked everyone to leave, we put on some classical music and turned off the lights.

My lab results came back very quickly, and they indicated that my liver and kidneys were taking a turn for the worse. The nurse called the doctors who decided that we had to deliver Jacob now. I called Jason who had just pulled into the driveway at the house, and told him to hurry back.

They wheeled me back down to L&D and re-started the magnesium...Yuck. By this point the on-call doctor had changed and Dr. Pilgrim would be delivering Jacob. Jason, D'Andre, Justin, Mallori, and Casey had all arrived at the hospital to meet our little man. Jason forgot our camera and video camera but luckily Mallori had brought theirs! (I am soooo thankful for that!)


Not a great picture of either of us... I'm on the mag and scared to death...We both were!
Things moved quickly and I was moved back to the OR. The CRNA gave me a spinal rather than an epidural, and they began the delivery! It was not long before I heard a very soft cry... the sweetest sound I've ever heard! And, just enough to make me cry! It seemed like it took an eternity to sew me up, and before they were finished they wheeled little baby Jacob by for me to see! My initial thoughts were...He looks like mini Jason! When they were finished I was wheeled back to L&D to finish a 24-hour dose of Magnesium and to be monitor for my blood pressure. Jason and the rest of the family was able to go up to the NICU to see Jacob...He brought back videos and pictures for me to see.

Here is the first video of Jacob!

I know some of you think this is gross... I guess it's the nurse in me... I think it's AMAZING!
My first and only glimpse of little Jacob for few a few days
Proud Daddy! He came out to show the family his little footprints!

No comments:

Post a Comment